What to Do If You Make a Mistake on Your Tax Return

What to Do If You Make a Mistake on Your Tax Return

After finally filing your tax return, what happens if you make a mistake? Mistakes are common as new statements suddenly show up or you remember expenses you forgot to include. Amending your tax return may seem like a burden; however, it may result in a refund. The CRA understands that mistakes happen, which is why they allow a few different methods to amend your T1 return.

Change the Return Through the CRA Online Services Website

The first way you can amend your T1 is through using the CRA’s online service website. “My Account” found on the CRA’s website can be used to access documents and make amendments to your return. You will need to have a valid username and password to access your filed return. When registering for the first time, you will need to go through a multi-step authentication process to verify your identity, which is set up to deter any fraudulent activities. Your social security number, date of birth, zip code and tax information from the prior year will all be needed (CRA). Moreover, your return needs to be processed in order to make an amendment, otherwise you may need to wait. Once you gain access, there will be an option to amend a prior year return.

Send an Updated T1 Adjustment Request Form to a CRA Location

If the online portal isn’t for you, a T1-ADJT1 Adjustment Request can be sent to your tax center. This is a pdf form that goes into detail on the lines needing adjustment and an explanation of the change. In addition, you will be required to list personal information, such as your social security number, full name, and address, meaning you want to be sure this form gets into the right hands. Consider upgrading to priority mail for added security or drop the form off yourself. Your address will determine which tax center you will need to mail the form to. If you are changing multiple line items, you might want to consider other avenues of amending your return since there is minimal room on the T1-ADJT1.

Send a Signed Letter to a CRA Location Asking for an Adjustment

The third option available is to send a signed letter to a CRA location asking for an adjustment. This option can be time consuming as you will most likely go back and forth with the CRA before they fully understand why and how to change your return. Be sure you include all the relevant information for the change, such as a new tax form or an additional expense receipt. The more detail the better.


Whatever method you choose for amending your return, you want to be sure the required information is properly filled out. One way to ensure accuracy is to consult with the experts at Faber LLP. Faber LLP can not only help you amend your tax return, but also minimize any errors. Contact a team member today for more information.


CRA. “About My Account.” CRA, 17 February 2022, https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/e-services-individuals/account-individuals/about-account.html. Accessed 5 May 2022.